My latest Facebook status update went like this:
"Practicing music is like getting to know a person. When you have mastered a piece of music, it brings you comfort. Playing or hearing that music feels like getting together with an old friend."
I have used this philosophy in teaching various students. Sometimes they would play/sing a piece like they really didn't like it much. I would try to convince them that the reason they didn't like it was because they didn't know it - and that they needed to make friends with it.
However my status update hit me this morning as I was practicing the piano part on Franz Schubert's art song, "The Trout". Piano is not my first instrument - well, actually it was my first instrument back in 3rd grade, but I have spent the rest of my life learning the flute. So when I first began working up the piece, it felt awkward and a bit scary to contemplate playing with my chorus, in front of others. I never disliked the piece, although I definitely disliked certain spots that were more of a technical challenge.
Now that I have just about mastered the piece, I look forward to sitting at the piano and noticing new details about the experience as I play. Now is the fun, because I get to play with dynamics and phrasing and actually express the sound painting that is this lovely little gem of a song. The sounds come back to my ears with increasing grace. I'm able to multi-task and think of other things while playing - sort of like "taking a ride in my body".
This is a phrase I also used as a runner (back in the days when I had two good knees). Once in (relatively good) shape, the runner reaches a level of fitness that allows for greater endurance and grace.
Musicians are athletes, using small muscle systems instead of whole-body gross motor movements (in most cases). Practicing develops endurance, technical facility, economy of movement, and muscle memory. In short - these elements add up to grace. Grace is controlled power - controlled technical movements. Control is a big part of the picture, but even more important is comfort. The body tells the athlete (musician, dancer, etc.) when the tempo is ready to be increased - when fluency is established - when the feat (the music, the physical movement) is like a friend. You want to revisit repeatedly. You feel relaxed in its presence. Your mind is free to think about and express new ideas as you enjoy the benefits of muscle memory. The activity releases pent-up emotions and creates positive energy.
So - practice really is liking nurturing a friendship, no matter what you are practicing. But if what you are practicing is music, you know what a great friend it can be. Music excites the intellect, soothes the emotions, and elevates the soul. Music is a friend that helps you discover the best things inside yourself. So stay motivated, if you are a musician. Listen to your body, because it will tell you when you are becoming acquainted with the movements that will allow you to perform the piece with grace. When that happens, you begin to love the music even more. You feel a new grace that you didn't know before. And you have a friend that you can carry with you in your mind for life.
No comments:
Post a Comment